Motivational March – Work Hard, Play Harder

March 13, 2013 in affirmation,family,motivation,motivational march,writing

2 Flares Filament.io 2 Flares ×
Did you read last week’s post about dreams? Check it out here: Dream, Believe, Make it Happen

We all do it. We work and work and work. Then one day, we feel frazzled, worn out and frustrated. What happened? We’ve been on the right path, putting in hours into creating our dreams, but we don’t feel fulfilled. There’s one big reason for this: we forgot to play.

Yes, play is not only important for children, it’s important for adults too. As a member of the Armed Forces, we’re pretty much forced to participate in R&R. Time off and relaxation are key to creating positive morale and an efficient workplace in the military. This also holds true for any other type of work, especially when you are determined to make your dreams come true. As you create your outline towards your goals, add in “play time” as one of those steps.
Every few weeks, do something that makes you smile. Set aside time to play your favorite video game, go get a pedicure, spend a night out with your friends or give yourself a full spa day at home. You can even take your partner or spouse out on a frugal and fun date

Go do something great. PLAY.

Now keep in mind that while play is important and necessary, it can easily be overdone. If you find yourself “in da club” every week or that video game controller is getting used almost every night, you need to re-evaluate your motivation. Are you motivated to build or motivated to linger? Your play time should be a catalyst towards wanting to work harder, and your work shouldn’t be done just so you can finally go play. Life doesn’t work that way. The best blessings come from hard work and happiness, so sculpt your everyday presence around doing just that.

What types of things do you love to do as your “play time”? Do you schedule weekly down time for yourself?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
2 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 Google+ 1 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 1 Filament.io 2 Flares ×

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

MyKidsGuide March 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Excellent advice! I think we all need to make time to just play and have fun.

Couponing in Central Florida! March 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I could not agree more. I always feel so much better after biking with the kids or swinging on the swings next to them!

Cinny Bbs March 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Aww, what a great post. Yes, it’s good to take some time to play and relax…forget the world for a bit. :)

Paula Schuck March 13, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I love to play outside with my kids and my husband loves to play games or do puzzles with the kids. He also loves to do skating and building blocks like that.

Mrs. Stephens March 13, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I have the hardest time with the whole play concept. I just can’t take the time as much as I know I need it.

Paula Schuck March 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I often forget to take the time to play, but I plan to try harder to build play into my week because honestly it’s good for you.

Tesa @ 2 Wired 2 Tired March 13, 2013 at 11:46 pm

This is a great reminder. I definitely need to make more time to just play and enjoy the moment.

Houseful Of Nicholes March 14, 2013 at 2:21 am

I must be purposeful about my play. I always end up working a lot so that I can have a vacation, and end up not enjoying it. GAH! I must do better!

Janeane Davis March 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

You are so right. We must take time for R & R because it makes life better. Most people work in order to have a better life, play is part of that better life. Thank you for a wonderful reminder.

Heather Hopson March 15, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Lately I decided to skip cleaning/working on the weekend and go outside to play. I’ve taken my daughter to the zoo and an indoor playground, and no longer feel guilty to return to a messy home! I can’t do that all the time, but every once in a while, I have to put fun first!

Amiyrah March 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Exactly! This is one of the reasons why I have no problem seeing a dust bunny or two in the corner. There’s time for work, and there’s time for play. If I don’t get to sweeping that corner today, but I get to play dress up with my girl for 2 hours, I’m still happy.

DJrelAt7 March 17, 2013 at 2:12 am

I give myself a 45 minute time out everyday to do something for myself … you’re right it’s so important to rest or else your body will shut down on us :-(

Caroll March 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I have gotten much better at this. I am easily a work-a-holic! Play really is necessary and does make everything seem so much better afterwards. Thanks Amiyrah, nice post.

Joyce@MommyTalkShow March 18, 2013 at 12:59 am

This is exactly why I went to get a mani-pedi today after a long weekend of hosting our son’s 3rd birthday at home. Otherwise, I would have gotten pretty resentful and bitter about putting everyone first.