7 Things to buy in February

February 3, 2014 in finance

171 Flares Filament.io 171 Flares ×

what to buy in February that will yield you big savings

It’s the month of love, and deals! Look for these 7 things to buy in February and you’ll be able to get some great discounts. Whether it’s canned goods, tablets or car seats, now is the time to grab them up.

Supplements, health packages and systems

Everyone hops on the “new year, new you” challenges in January. Companies respond to this by over-stocking items like supplements, detox kits and internal health systems. If you are looking to finally start that detox, now is the time to get those kits for a deep discount. Also, if you plan on doing any type of detox before summer, grab the kits now. Are you in a dreary part of the country where there isn’t much sun? Use these sales to stock up on Vitamin D.

Specialty sporting goods

Will your kiddo be running track, playing baseball, soccer or Lacrosse in the spring? Now is the time to get deals on any specialty sporting goods that they may need to play. Cleats, Lacrosse sticks, running shoes, and even hockey equipment will be on sale this month.

Kitchen appliances

Blenders, toasters, and food processors are being put on sale all over online, and in brick and mortar stores. Keep an eye out for deals on these items and upgrade those items. Also, think beyond the kitchen. You’ll be able to find great deals on vacuums for the house and even your car this month. A car vacuum might be a great gift for Father’s Day!

New York City Vacation package

I mentioned in the “Things to buy in January” post that purchasing vacation packages is a great idea during that first month of the year. It’s also a great idea to buy vacation packages in February, especially those for a spring and summer getaway to New York City. February is the time when you’ll find deals on cool hotels, broadway shows, and unique tourist experiences around the city. Most companies are rewarding you for booking now by giving you 30% to 50% off an experience.

Canned food

This is my favorite time of year to stockpile canned items! Here in New Jersey, one of our grocery chains ShopRite does their “Can-Can sale” where I stock up on winter and spring staples. Whether it’s canned tomatoes, salmon and tuna, or corn, now is the time to grab those deals.These great sales are happening all around the country, so take advantage of the sales and stock up on the staples in your home. This is also a great time to buy hot cereals, like oatmeal and cream of wheat, and pancake mix, since it’s National Hot Breakfast Month.

Small electronics

With the announcement of the new line of electronics during the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, companies are now gearing up to display the “hot items” and place the older generations of electronics on sale and clearance. This is a great time to buy Android tablets, cell phones, and netbooks that may be 6 months to a year old. For more tips on how to save big bucks on your electronics, check out this post on ways to keep your technology frugal.

Baby items

Yes, this is the time to stock up on those baby shower gifts. Toys R Us, Babies R Us and even Target are starting up their baby sales now. These sales will turn into “phantom sales” by May, when prices for baby items will be at their premium, and most stores will claim they are giving you a sale price, but it will only be about 5% to 10% off retail. Take a peek at this post about frugal baby shower gift ideas to keep you under budget for any showers you may be invited to this year.

What NOT to buy:

Air Conditioners

Over the years, I’ve seen so many financial gurus mention air conditioners are being a great deal in the winter, but the truth is, it’s all regional. If you are in the south, supply and demand causes the prices to stay the same almost all year round. If it’s warm 3 quarters of the year where you are, you may not get a deep discount on air conditioners, but you will have more reasonable pricing for one. In cooler parts of the country, deals on air conditioners will start up next month, when stores are placing their spring items on shelves, including new lines of air conditioners, and putting the older lines on sale. If you see a sale on an air conditioner this month, stand your ground and wait. As Alton Brown says: your patience will be rewarded.

What items are you looking forward to purchasing this month for a deep discount?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
171 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 6 Google+ 9 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 156 Filament.io 171 Flares ×

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

Heather February 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

Great info! I had no idea about the baby items. I might buy a carseat if the deals are good, even though I won’t need a new one until summer or so.

Lindsey February 3, 2014 at 10:17 am

A car vacuum…. genius idea!! Thanks for the great tips!

Life with Kaishon February 3, 2014 at 10:58 am

These were some really great tips! Thank you! I will definitely be on the lookout for cleats!

My favorite thing about Shop Rite’s Can Can sale is the song! Thank you for reminding me. Now I will sing it all day : ). Let’s just hope I can sing it in my head and not out loud.

Carrie MkgLemonade February 3, 2014 at 11:55 am

GREAT tip about the baby stuff, I had no idea. There’s going to be a lot of babies come spring, so I’ll stock up now. Thanks!

Carrie @ Chockababy February 3, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this! We are building a new home and need a TON of stuff. Including a new toaster – where can I find a good deal? Anywhere? I also need to watch for that Can-can sale!!

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Carrie, try online deal sites first, like amazon and target. If you can’t find a good deal there, drug stores actually tend to have great sales on kitchen appliances in February!

Jeanine @MommyEntourage February 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Great idea on the soccer cleats! Now to try to figure out what size my son will be wearing come September! :)

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:10 pm

That’s the hardest part, right? I always buy 2 pairs and the one that we don’t use, I sell to the consignment or re-sale kids store. You can also sell them to online thrift stores.

Val February 3, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Wow, dispelled the Air Conditioner purchasing. I would have thought this was prime time. And did not know about NYC. Way cool.. Love this series.

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Yes, the air conditioner “tip” is such a myth. It all depends on where you are located. Thanks for commenting, Val!

Caitlin February 3, 2014 at 3:37 pm

awesome tips that I never thought about. Thanks for sharing!

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm

You’re welcome, Caitlin. Thanks for stopping by!

Barb @ A Life in Balance February 3, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I need to stock up again on supplements. We’re just about out. Thanks for the reminder!

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm

You’re welcome, Barb!

AlexM February 3, 2014 at 9:10 pm

We are heading into asparagus season! Now is the time to enjoy it. Avocados are cheap this time of year too.

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Yup and yup! :)

Jennifer A February 4, 2014 at 12:14 am

I never really thought about this. Thank you for the great advice.

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm

You’re welcome, Jennifer!

Jessica @EatSleepBe February 4, 2014 at 7:08 am

Last night while I was trying to fall asleep I was thinking that it’s time for a detox, so this is gloriously timely. Thanks!

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm

You’re welcome, Jessica!

Sharelle D. Lowery February 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I did not even think about the air conditioner thing!!! So freaking smart!!! And of course as cold as it is…you know Travel to a good place…pricing is GOOD!!

Amiyrah February 4, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for commenting, Sharelle!

Thien-Kim February 5, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the great list Amiyrah! I’ve been keeping on eye on tablets!

Kesha Brown February 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Guess what this former non-cooker just bought?! A new slow cooker! I feel like a real cook now for some reason and bought all types of things to start throwing in that baby. LOL

I really am excited about it though to help make more meals at home and in larger qualities for the fam. Holla! ;-)

Jennifer Saranow Schultz (aka Hint Mama) February 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm

So happy to have come across this series. Great tips and I’m going to go stock up on baby gifts now!

Andrea B (@goodgirlgonered) February 7, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Love this list. My trip to NYC, ahhh, I wish. I’m so homesick!

I love the tip on the sporting supplies, AND more importantly, I think I need a new crockpot, I wonder if those’ll be on sale soon? Now I need to go looking … :)

Rachee February 9, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I don’t really have any tips on what to buy. I do thank you for hipping me to a New York trip. That’s something I can get with.

Arelis Cintron February 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I’m looking for dietary supplements and I’m wondering if vacations in general are a good thing to book, not just NYC. I do need a new air conditioner but I’ll wait now. Thanks for the tips!

Amiyrah February 12, 2014 at 9:29 am

Hi Arelis,

January was the best month to book a vacation anywhere, but you will still get some good deals on vacation packages this month, so be sure to do your research. Thanks for commenting!

Nyc air conditioning repair March 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
Appreciate it

Amiyrah March 21, 2014 at 12:45 am

Thanks for stopping by! I have no clue how one of my posts ended up on Yahoo News, but I’m so glad you found me through there :).