Disclosure: This is a compensated post on behalf of Lysol. All opinions and experiences are my own.
You guys: I went back to school! OK, not officially, but I did go to #LysolGermSchool with the wonderful Audrey and Vera this past week, and learned so much. It’s back-to-school season, and there’s so much we have to remember to do: buy the supplies, update the kids’ wardrobe, schedule doctor’s appointments, etc. But, BUT what’s the one thing we always forget? How to stay healthy.
There’s no surprise when our kids end up catching the sniffles a few weeks into the school season. We all expect it. But why is that? Well, I learned so much during my time at germ school, and I wanted to share 10 back-to-school facts with you as well as some ways we can keep our kids healthy this school season.
- The Flu virus can live on hard surfaces for up to 48 hours. Microbiologist Joe Rubino shared this fact with us during our first session of school. Whoa.
- Children can touch and re-touch over 300 surfaces within a 30 minute period. That makes fact number 1 so much more true.
- The amount of germs in our body weigh collectively about the same amount as our brain.
- The flu virus can travel up to 12 feet though the air, at 100 miles per hour.
- Viruses can’t be killed via antibiotics, so asking for that option when your kiddo has the flu won’t help.
- Kids get more colds than adults because of 3 factors: a younger immune system, their budding hygiene habits (they’re still learning how to do things properly).
- The best way for kids to battle germs and stay healthy? Proper hand washing!
- The proper hand washing system, according to Pediatrician Dr. Jennifer Zubler: wet hands, lather with soap, scrub thoroughly up to the wrists, rinse thoroughly, dry.
- You “follow the flu” via the CDC website. Periodically check to see if the virus is prevalent in your area.
- MY FAVORITE FACT: Having a pet in the home helps boost the immune system.
The biggest thing we learned that day was that healthy habits are the most important during a school year. Make sure your kids are getting the proper amount of play, healthy foods and sleep. And keep germs at bay by using Lysol throughout the house. Since Lysol kills 99.9% of germs, it’s the easiest way to make sure everyone in the family stays healthy.
Plus, schools will LOVE Lysol this year, since they are now the official first cleaning product to offer Box Tops For Education! Does your school collect them?