My good friend Precious, over at Frugal Makes Cents, put up a challenge to herself to use up her stockpile and spend as little as possible. She wants to see how long she and her husband can do this, before having to stock back up at the stores. Genius!
Some of the posters at Hot coupon world also did this during the month of March, making a contest out of it. It was interesting to see what types of meals and creative shopping the participants created to get through the month.
I decided, it’s time for me to challenge myself! For the month of May, I will be working on living off our stockpile and spending as little as possible at the stores. This will be quite a challenge for me since May is the start of BBQ season, and thus the time I stock up on BBQ sauce ketchup, mustard, ground beef and chicken breasts. I’ll have to get creative when those things go on sale, but I doubt I’ll have too much trouble with that.
Also, since I’ve been out of commission for the past few days, I haven’t been able to finish up my April shopping deals. I’ll have to take care of those little bits and pieces tomorrow, adding to my May totals. Not a really big deal, but it will skew my May totals a bit.
Here are a few more “rules” I’m giving myself:
1. No stocking up on anything unless it will be 50 cents or under. It must be 50 cents or under AFTER coupons and instant rebates.
2. No shopping for items that I won’t use, even if it is a money maker deal.(this one will be very hard)
3. There will be leniency with fresh fruits and vegetables, but they must be on sale that week. If I need carrots for a recipe, but carrots are not on sale that week, that recipe will have to wait.
4. Most meat won’t be purchased until ground beef and chicken breast is at rock bottom. I know it will happen this month and I’ve been holding onto a 5.00 off 50.00 coupon for this purpose.
5. Rolling ECBs and RRs will be a priority, but must be done with very little to no OOP. Another easy one….I already do this.
6. Meals during the week will be based on one meat and one seafood(as long as this is applicable). I started to make 2 different meats during the week, thus depleting our stockpile a little quicker than I was comfortable with. Since our freezer is so small, we can only fit so much in the first place. This should help me not be so nervous about our freezer becoming more and more empty.
7. No eating out….at all. This will be hardest on me, since I do enjoy a night out without having to cook. This will not include any “freebies” that may come up during the month. Here’s hoping someone is giving some free food in May! LOL
8. Like Precious does on her blog everyday, I will list the things I have done that day to keep costs down in my household. This should also be interesting, since I just do these things and have never sat down to think about each and every one of them.
Even after all of those rules, I still think this should be fun! I can’t wait to see what type of meals I come up with by the end of May.