Father’s Day is just around the corner and boy did it sneak up fast! It seems like sometimes Dad’s day gets the short end of the stick because it’s so close to Mother’s Day, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Even with the little time left to plan, you can make this Father’s Day pretty special…while staying frugal!
1. Make a “Dad pack.” This is something that we did last year for my Dad and he couldn’t get enough of it. If you are a couponer and lover of your local drug store deals, this should be easy for you. Grab that men’s razor and shaving cream that’s on sale, and pair it with a lightly scented(or non-scented) lotion. Find some of Dad’s favorite candies and a 99 cent card and you’re all set! Last year, there were sales on Men’s body wash around Father’s Day, so my dad got his very own wash. When you’re in a house full of women, this small gift goes a long way.
2. Focus on his likes…and do the little things. Does he spend a good amount of time in his car and take pride in it? Take it out Sunday morning while he’s sleeping in and clean it for him. Loves to golf? Drive him to the local driving range and hit a few balls with him. Is he an electronics nerd? Offer to spend the day bouncing from one electronics store to another, and window-shop.
3. Cook, Bake or Grill. This may be a hard one to do if you’re the cook all the time anyway, but it is true: the way to a man’s heart is through that darn stomach. If he’s the cook, then it’s time to get in there and make him something special. Is he the one that grills? You take over on father’s day. If you need a tutorial, ask him to grill the weekend before and make sure to watch. Ask questions if you want, or if you want to make it a total surprise, sneak some notes on what he does. While he’s sleeping in, you can turn into the female Bobby Flay, grilling up all his favorites.
Or, if all else fails, make him cupcakes. Boys love cupcakes. :o)
4. A mini shopping-spree might be in order. This time of year, there are lots of great deals on menswear. If your guy is in need of new duds, check them out. Kmart is offering 2 free movie tickets to see the new Transformers movie when you purchase 50 dollars worth of clothing. Sears has a similar sale, but will give you a 50 dollar gift certificate towards any menswear purchase in July and August, if you spend 50 dollars on menswear. Old Navy always has great deals on Men’s clothing, and with the launch of Old Navy Weekly, you can score some great coupons to use towards the deals.
5. Go all out, but look for coupons! Last year, I wanted to surprise my dorky, yet cute, Husband by taking him to a place he’s been talking about for years…Medieval Times. I knew it was going to cost quite a bit for all 3 of us to go, but I also knew that if I planned ahead, I could find a great deal. I ended up getting our son in for free and Hubby and I in for half the ticket price. Check your local entertainment book or check here for coupons on some of the popular places in your area.
6. Remember, Dads are Dads….even to furry babies! How cute would it be to give a gift from your furry babies to daddy? Is it from a puppy? Put a stick in a box with a note, “hey dad…let’s play later!” Or, is it from a kitty? Run to the dollar store, buy one of those toy mice, and place that in the box. Have the note read “hey dad! caught this one just for you!”
I hope some of these ideas got your wheels going for Father’s Day this year! What do you all have planned for the big day?