Even when life is turned upside down, I still keep it frugal! Here are some of the best frugal things I did this week:
-On Sunday, we had a small celebration of my youngest cousin’s 1st birthday and DH’s 31st birthday! I offered to cook for the party since my Mother was making the two cakes. Even though the guest list doubled the day before, I was still able to use my stockpile to create a meal of balsamic and herb marinated chicken, lots of brown rice, a whole heap of buttered string beans, and a big corn casserole.
– To add to the menu even more, I saved a Subway coupon from our local store that gave us 3 footlong subs for 13.99. I got a Subway gift card from Klout as a klout perk for 10.00. So, for 3.99 we got 3 subs. I cut them into smaller sandwiches and we ate them after dinner while watching the football game.
– I got a Kohls 10.00 coupon in the mail last week. I was told I needed to pack a pillow and linens for my deployment so I got a clearance twin sheet set and a new pillow for free.
– I’m still on a mission to create and freeze meals for the family to eat while I’m gone. My goal is to make 60 and I’m at 22 right now.
– I’ve been obsessed with figuring out how to incorporate more tofu into our diet. I made my vegan cream of broccoli soup recipe again this week and I made a chicken and tofu stir fry. I made a quadruple batch of the stir fry and 3 of the meal servings will be frozen for Dad and the kiddos to eat while I’m gone.
– I got my free turkey from ShopRite! I’ll cook it on Tuesday, pull all the meat apart on Wednesday before we leave for Ohio. One breast will be sliced and used for lunch meat, the other will be sliced and frozen with gravy for a meal, and all the other meat will be separated into freezer bags and used while I’m gone for meals. I’m hoping to get about 6 meals frozen from the turkey and to make soup when we get back from vacation.
– DH’s birthday is on Saturday! Tonight, we will be going to Red Robin to celebrate. We have a rewards card for Red Robin and there is a credit for a birthday burger on there. To sweet the celebration even more, I received a FREE 25.00 Red Robin gift card from our banks rewards program. We’ll eat like burger kings.
– With a bag of lentils, 2 cups of cooked brown rice and 2 packets of pink salmon, I created 3 to 4 weeks worth of toddler meals for the Duchess. I stored them in some cleaned glass ragu jars and will take them over to my Mom’s house for the little girl to have for her lunches. I’m going to blog about it next week.
– I hate to admit it, but I’m a Twiheart. Dearest husband has agreed to take me to go see it on his birthday night. I have a 50.00 AMC gift card. We’re going to go to the AMC that has “fork and screen” movies and have food and drinks while watching the movie. We’ll have a great time for free.
– I had 3 Target coupons that needed to be used before Saturday, so we ran up to our local store to cash in. I got a free loaf of wheat bread, .99 dozen eggs, and .99 lunchable. While we were there, I even grabbed a few of the items I still need for deployment and they were surprisingly cheap. We also saved on gas. Boom.
I’m sure we did more, but that’s all I can think of right now.