Lately, we’ve been experiencing something way out of the ordinary: a shortage of food and household items in our stockpile. I have been trying to wrap my brain around why this may be and I think I have come up with some reasons.
1. The coupons are crappy. Yes I said it. Lately, I haven’t seen any really spectacular coupons in the inserts. Actually, since the end of the first season of Extreme Couponing, I started to see a downfall in the quality of a coupon. On another note, the printable coupons have been a lot better. I’m assuming because they are easier to track, they can limit how many we get in each household and the stores don’t get depleted of their stock during the first few days of a sale. I’ve always liked the printables better anyway. Less organizing and clipping.
2. It’s getting harder to find coupons. Well, I have to say, for ME it’s getting harder. If I don’t get to the convenience store early, all the papers are picked through and inserts are stolen. This has been happening all over my area and it makes me sick to the point that I just want to stop coupling. I’d rather not be associated with thieves. Also, peels and the red coupon machines are MIA in my area. This is obviously for the same reason listed above. So, unless we move to a better neighborhood, I don’t see me getting any more of those awesome coupons.
3. The little girl is growing. And so is her brother. They have been eating quite a bit lately, especially since they have been exerting more energy. I’ve had to pack more snacks in Sonny’s lunch in order to make sure he has enough fuel to learn throughout the day, and Duchess has started asking for snack as well. During mealtime, the little girl is starting to ask for seconds. While I could stretch a meal with leftovers for a two to three days, now we usually don’t get past two. Because of this, my freezer, vegetable and brown rice stockpile is suffering. I haven’t seen great sales on proteins other than chicken(which my husband just said he was sick of eating) and no sales on vegetables or brown rice.
4. I’m not a “deal chaser” anymore. I used to run from store to store to drugstore hunting down deals. I’d rise early, very grumpy and not enthusiastic about going to the supermarkets. Then, once I did actually get there, the deals were gone already. Only one to two hours after the stores opening, the staff and the
insane extreme couponers had taken all of the deals already. As much as I love couponing, I don’t have time for all that. I like sleep too much. And spending time with my family. And my sanity. I think I may finally be to the point where I can say “enough is enough” and stop stressing myself over not getting every deal.
5. We’re going “all natural” with our household and beauty products. I’ve posted so many times about the benefits of cleaning with vinegar and I’ve tried to really use it as much as possible in our cleaning. I finally decided to start making our own laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent as well. I love using everyday items for beauty regimens as well. We’ve been using the heck out of coconut oil in this house, and every time it’s on sale online, I buy it up. We are running low on lotions and other moisturizing items, but I’m replacing them with natural substitutes. I plan to start a “frugal beauty” series to share with you all some of my favorite all natural beauty items.
With all that said, I do have to admit that I don’t mind the shortage as much as I thought I would. It took me a few days to figure out why, but I’ve finally got it. I’m on a different frugal path now. The best part about this lifestyle is that you can change it up to suit where you are in your frugal/finance journey. We are now fully debt free. We are going to pursue house hunting soon. I’ve become obsessed with farmer’s markets, all natural eating and thrifting as much as possible. This is the stage I am in right now. Coupons can still help, but not to the degree that I need them to. We will never part ways, but I won’t be as upset as I used to when a deal doesn’t pan out. If I can’t get that packaged good for cheap or free, I know how to make it myself. I have other things to stress over. Coupons are no longer on the list.
Have any of you been experiencing coupon or stockpile shortage lately?