Our 64 dollar grocery budget trip to Target ended up being a great score for the house. It also helped that we didn’t spend the whole 64 dollars. That was a huge surprise for me since Target has always seems to be the expensive place to grocery shop in our area.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive free tips to keep your grocery budget low
Grocery Shopping at Target
As promised in the last grocery budget post, here is the complete breakdown of everything I purchased for around 54 dollars (10 dollars left over), plus which items had an extra 5% discount with the Target app. I’ll also list the meals I’ve created from what I purchased.
If you look at the meals, you’ll see that I really could have spent that extra 10 dollars on more fruits and vegetables to completely round out the meals. But, I think I did a pretty good job for my first time trying the $64 grocery budget at Target.
Cheap Grocery List for Target
2 pints of mushrooms – for 3.00
5lb bag of Russet potatoes – 1.89 (5% off with Target app)
12oz bag asparagus – 1.99
2 14oz cans Market Pantry Italian-style tomatoes – .70 each (5% off with Target app)
1 can Goya pinto beans – .97
1 bag Goya lentil beans – 1.32
2 bags Market Pantry flour tortillas – 2.03 (5% off with Target app)
2 boxes Market Pantry whole wheat pasta – 1.04 each
1 bag Market Pantry egg noodles – 1.79
4 cans of Market Pantry tuna – .82 each
1 loaf Nature’s Harvest 100% whole wheat bread – 1.99
2 pints of strawberries – 1.42 (5% off with Target app)
2 1-pound packages of ground chuck – 3.49 with 1.00 coupon on the package
2 packages Market Pantry frozen spinach – .76 each (5% off with Target app)
3 packages Market Pantry frozen California vegetable medley – 1.41 each (5% off with Cartwheel by Target app)
Market Pantry 2% milk – 3.12 (5% off with Cartwheel by Target app)
4 dozen Market Pantry large eggs – .99 each
Half gallon Market Pantry lactose free milk – 2.84 (5% off with Target app)
32oz Market Pantry plain yogurt – 2.14
2 bags Market Pantry shredded cheddar cheese – 2.21 (5% off with Target app)
3.82 pound Perdue roast chicken – 7.22
A 10.00 mobile coupon sent to my phone
Printable Target Grocery List
Want a visual of this cheap Target grocery list? Here’s a graphic you can print or save to your phone. Don’t forget to check the Target app for grocery deals to increase your savings!
- 12 breakfast burritos – using tortillas, 1 dozen eggs, 3 potatoes, half a bag of cheese, and 1 can pinto beans.
- 24 hard boiled eggs (this will also be an option for lunch)
- Homemade strawberry yogurt – 160z yogurt and chopped strawberries (this will also be a snack to add to lunch)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Chicken salad wrap – made from some of the white meat of the roasted chicken and plain yogurt
- Egg salad – made from hard-boiled eggs and plain yogurt
- Tuna, asparagus and cold noodles
- Roast chicken with roasted potatoes and California vegetable mix
- Lentil soup – using chicken stock made from the carcass of the chicken, chopped up roasted potatoes and half a bag of spinach (save some lentils for a later meal)
- Pasta Primavera – made from 1 pint mushrooms, canned tomatoes, California vegetable mix, sliced asparagus (half the bag), two dollops of yogurt, and whole wheat pasta
- Faux crab cakes – made with 3 cans tuna, 1 egg, 1 slice of bread (chopped finely). Served with a side of lentils, and pan-sauteed potatoes
- Chicken cheese noodle casserole – using leftover dark meat chicken, 1 egg, 1 bag egg noodles, 1/2 cup milk, 1 bag of cheese (half in the casserole dish, half on top), chopped asparagus and half a bag of spinach.
- Beef tostadas (using this recipe, and ground beef instead of brisket) – 6 tortillas, ground beef seasoned with Mexican seasonings and cooked with the canned tomatoes, half bag shredded cheese, dollops of yogurt, and a side of California vegetable medley
- Hamburger steak over noodles – 1 pound ground beef, 1 pint mushrooms, 2 slices bread soaked in milk, cooked whole wheat pasta, 1 bag spinach sautéed with garlic.
The Conclusion – Lots of Meals
That’s 7 dinners, 4 lunch options and even some breakfast options! I still have a few eggs left and bread which can be used for other meals, or another lunch option. This was a very surprising experiment and I love that the Cartwheel app gave me so many instant savings.