7 Things to buy in January

January 1, 2014 in finance

198 Flares Filament.io 198 Flares ×

things to buy in January for less

Happy New Year! January is the month of new beginnings and getting a reality check on your finances. We love January because we’re able to plan our whole year in just one day, and also create our quarterly goals for the next 3 months. It’s also the month where you can get the best deals on items you’ll need in the coming year. Below is a list of things to buy in January that you’ll find on sale or clearance.

Workout gear

You will see a ton of deals on workout wear, online and in the brick and mortar stores. There will also be lots of deals on monthly exercise programs, or box subscriptions.

Tip: For the best deal on exercise clothing online, place the items you would like into your shopping cart, sign up for an account on the website and close the tab. Within 24 to 48 hours, you will receive a special discount code to use towards your purchase. Some companies will send up to 50% off codes that you can use on sale items.

Winter coats

Winter is here, and so are the coat sales. Stores like Burlington Coat Factory, Old Navy and even Target will have great deals on coats for the whole family.

Tip: Stock up! If there is a great deal on coats for kids, get them a coat in their current size and another in the size you anticipate them being in next winter. Most kids move up 2 sizes from winter to winter. Here’s a great post on how to shop ahead for your kids.

Televisions

There is a misnomer that the holidays are the best times to buy electronics, but January (and the beginning of February) is the most opportune time to get a deal on televisions. Companies are looking to get rid of last year’s inventory in anticipation for selling new models in the spring.

Tip: Speak to the manager at your local Best Buy, and find out when certain companies will be having their sales this month. If there is a particular television you have in mind, let them know. They may even call you once it’s on sale or they have a floor model up for grabs.

Bicycles

This one is simple: it’s winter, the bike inventory at toy stores are vast thanks to holiday sales so they want to get rid of as many as possible. Also, sporting stores will have great deals on adult bikes.

Tip: Keep a look out for Toys R Us and their bicycle sale. They usually have the sale mid-January, or even as late as the beginning of February. You could yield up to 70% off.

Grills

Yes, now is the time to buy that grill you’ve had your eye on since last summer. Like electronics, large summer essentials like grills will be on sale and clearance in order to make way for new models.

Picture frames

Craft, home decor, and even your local drug stores will have great sales on picture frames this month. Due to the large amount of holiday pictures we all take, stores like to use January to move their large frame inventory and get us to buy multiples.

Tip: take advantage of “buy more, save more” deals. Think of how you will use frames in the coming year, and stock up (Mother’s and Father’s day gifts, teachers gifts, etc.).

Photos

Obviously, this pairs well with the picture frame sales mention above. Keep an eye out on your spam folder for coupon codes from photo printing sites like Shutterfly. This will be a great time to print your favorite pictures from 2013, and place them in those photo frames you picked up.

Vacations

This is THE BEST time to plan your vacation for the coming year. Travel agents and sites will be falling over themselves to get you the best deals now for your vacations in the spring, summer and fall. This is the time when we plan our Disney vacations. We’re already set for our vacation in May, and received a great discount on it because we booked so early.

Tip: Look for deals where you can set up a payment plan or vacation fund to get the whole package paid for before your trip. Disney now has a Disney Vacation Account website which will be great for us frugal Disney fanatics.

I hope these things to buy in January will help you grab some great deals this month! Please feel free to view previous “things to buy” posts and share with family and friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
198 Flares Facebook 26 Twitter 6 Google+ 2 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 164 Filament.io 198 Flares ×

{ 39 comments… read them below or add one }

Erica January 1, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thanks for all the great tips! Looking forward to getting good deals on some new work out gear!!

Brandi January 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Oh, I didn’t know about the Disney Vacation Account. That is a great idea, and I think I’m going to surprise my hubby with it. He won’t know I’m saving until September!! Thanks!

Alisha January 1, 2014 at 2:54 pm

These are some great tips! I always wait until now to buy myself a Winter coat and usually find some great deals for bigger sizes for next Winter for my youngest daughter. And I didn’t even know the tip about the exercise gear. Thanks!!!

Mandi January 1, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I absolutely love this!! I did not know about the Disney account. That is amazing. It’s on our family vision board to take the kids to Disney for the first time this year! I also didn’t know this was the best time of year to get a grill! And Buckaroo really wants one!! I just need to figure out where I can hide it. :-)

claudia krusch January 1, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Love your tips, specially because I am planning on taking my family to Disney in March!

Aida Ingram January 2, 2014 at 9:47 am

I love these tips… And that Disney account looks fabulous..I only knew about a few of these other ideas, now I have to go look at my list… 8-)

Val January 2, 2014 at 10:13 am

Wow, Disney has a vacation account plan? Did not know that. Now Disney is reachable for anybody.. Thanks for this list. Pinned..

Heather H January 2, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I’m definitely going to buy a new winter coat! I saw top brands, like Michael Kors and Kenneth Cole, reasonably priced at Marshall’s this week.

Also, going to take photos. We skipped the Christmas pics, but my daughter and I wore red & white Ralph Laurent to church on NYE and I thought it would be a great picture that can be up all year round. Thanks for reminding me to book an appointment!

Robin (Masshole Mommy) January 2, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Who knew? This is an awesome list and if I can actually get out to get some of this stuff, I sure will – and I’ll save some money. Sweet.

Chavonne H January 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Great post! We are in need of some winter coats because it is freezing here in New Jersey. We were considering going to Burlington Coat Factory, I see it’s listed on here so that’s good to know they must have reasonable prices. That’s very important.

Amiyrah January 2, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Hi Chavonne! We’re in New Jersey too. I just saw commercials for a few stores that will be having coat sales this weekend, including Burlington.

Michele January 2, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Well, it looks like I will really be saving money–I don’t need any of the above–maybe next January and then I will look for the items on your list then–I really do prefer buying on sale!!

Joanna Sormunen January 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Yes! I love to buy things on January sales and save so much money. It’s incredible the difference that there is on prices.

Lawna January 2, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the tip on savings on work out gear. I would have never even guessed to do that. I am getting a gym membership this weekend so I am definitely going to need to buy some new workout clothes.

Rona B January 2, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Thanks for the money saving tip for workout gear. It’s time for me to replace my yoga pants and I’m looking to save.

becca January 2, 2014 at 7:49 pm

wow this is great i didn’t know you should by frames in January good to know

Jennifer Williams January 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I always shop for things after the holidays and hold things for the following Christmas. I save so much money that way. I love the tip for fitness clothing, I am going to go try that one right now.

Pam January 2, 2014 at 8:12 pm

The last time we planned a vacation out of the country we did it in January, although we went in June. We saved a ton of money!

Aisha Kristine Chong January 2, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Workout and Vacation! YES!

We all need to make a move on – holidays are over – but also, we needed to relax and de-stress – so vacations comes in handy.

Maria January 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm

YES!! I am all for vacation planning and saving!! This definitely excites me and keeps me going all year.

Marielle Altenor January 2, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I think because I live up here in the cold weather, the coats wont go on sale till summer.

Amiyrah January 3, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi Marielle,

Don’t make that mistake! We are here in NJ, very close to NYC, and they are putting coats on sale and clearance right now. It’s all about marketing, and even in really cold places, you’ll be able to find some great deals. Also, keep an eye out for online sales on coats too.

Lindsay January 2, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. We are in the market for a new grill!

GossipMoms (@GossipMoms) January 2, 2014 at 11:40 pm

By January Im bout broke lol, fom all the holiday shopping, but great tips

Amber Edwards January 2, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I had no idea about the TV’s or the grill! Sweet! We need new TV and a new Grill! This is the perfect time to get them!

amanda January 3, 2014 at 12:25 am

i am hoping to plan a vacation – i’m not buying anything for fitness but working on #fabin14

Veronica January 3, 2014 at 12:46 am

Christmas decorations are great too.

Tough Cookie Mommy January 3, 2014 at 1:13 am

I totally agree with you on buying winter coats. I have gotten some great deals on my boys’ coats during this time. I usually buy them bigger for the following year.

Amanda January 3, 2014 at 2:22 am

We are headed to Disney later this month so I will have to check out the site!

Pamela @ Still Dating My Spouse January 3, 2014 at 3:35 am

Thats a good idea about the coats. Stores are preparing for Spring & they will discount the coats to move them out the store. Great post of other things….

Ashley Gill January 3, 2014 at 10:43 am

My husband and I were just talking bout when the best time to guy a grill would be. He thought in the fall after grilling season, but I told him its probably right now! Looks like I was right… again, haha! We will have to search around for some good deals!

Onica {MommyFactor} January 3, 2014 at 11:50 am

Nice list of items to buy for the New Year. I’m def already shopping for a vacation package!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell January 3, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Coats makes total sense, but I didn’t know about vacations and TV’s!

Melanie S. January 3, 2014 at 10:34 pm

We should take this opportunity to plan a vacation for this year. We haven’t had one in such a long time!

Notorious Spinks January 4, 2014 at 12:14 am

This is a great idea! I am going to look for some workout wear now. It is def time for some new pieces. Also, I’m going to look at some vacation spots for 2014. My goal is to take my first trip abroad!

Le-an Lacaba January 4, 2014 at 8:03 am

I totally agree with all of these, especially the first and last!best time to show off the worked out body will be during a vacation!

Trista January 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

This is a great list, thanks for sharing!

Amanda Love ~ Growing Up Madison January 4, 2014 at 11:49 am

I have my vacation planned for the summer and my daughter actually wants a new bike so that is on my list. No more TV’s for me but I’m like you, I like buying our summer stuff in the winter. Works out cheaper that way.

Arelis Cintron January 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I just bought some workout gear at Old Navy on Sunday, they had compression carpis for half off. SCORE. I always have a hard time finding pants that fit because I have short legs. Capris are great for little people like me LOL

Its scary about companies sending you coupons in your inbox. I did that a few times during the holiday season. Buying stuff but closing the window before I processed my cart. Kind of like window shopping and I would get emails ….hey you still have this in your cart or here’s a coupon, we saw you checking out the site and … SCARY but GREAT TIP!

I need a bike so I guess you know what I’ll be shopping for this month!